Tuesday 29 January 2013

Anna Cooper




Anna had 3 designs selected for the made of money project, she answer my question while working on one of her design as the show is in only 10 days.

What inspired you by the theme "Made of Money?

Fashion is quite a money oriented business and I think that it is interesting to work on that subject. I could have gone much more political but I chose to look at it more in a pure, aesthetic point of view.

How did you get started, what was your design process?

I started by brainstorming money: fans of money (head piece); collar (restriction, opulent, statement), Abacus ... Then I started drawing. The "made of money" came just after we had a drawing workshop with Adrian Taylor... so it was a continuation in my work to use drawing as a design process.

Tell us about your design, what material did you use?

As I said the shape of my designs came through my drawing process. I also absorbed ideas of my research. I visited the Fan museum at Greenwich and the Money Gallery at the British Museum.
I used different material, calico printed by heat transfer, plastic, wood, wool, cotton. I recycled a lot of the materials I used.

What was it like to work on a budget?

It made me think more about the material I should use, where the money should go. That’s one of the reasons that drove me to recycling. Budget makes you think how to work differently.

How are you feeling about showing your work to people?


I am looking forward to the catwalk presentation and seeing all 3 of my designs.
There are lots of last minute finishing details to my garment as they are very labour intensive but I am enjoying the process.

A last word? 

I think that it is an amazing opportunity World First is offering us. I like having a dead line, it is a great experience to have before the final project we will have at the end of the year and having pictures of a show in my portfolio is great!









No comments:

Post a Comment